Here at Head Start, we believe that quality healthcare is vital for growth and development in young children.
- We provide health screenings for all children in our program, including:
- Growth Assessments
- Blood pressure (for those 3 years and older)
- Lead testing (with parent consent for those there is no record received)
- Dental exams are provided for preschoolers by Knox County Health Department Dental Clinic.
- We offer families assistance with finding a healthcare provider, especially if issues are identified during health screenings or dental exams.
- For children in Early Head Start: parents are encouraged to schedule dental exam appointments with providers in the area. If necessary, our staff assist parents with locating a dentist.
- The program gives reminders when well child checks and/or immunizations are due.
- We assist with:
- Finding a medical home (primary care provider) and a dental home for the families we serve
- TennCare applications and follow ups
Our Registered Nurse on staff:
- Performs all health screenings listed above
- Trains staff on medication administration
- Trains staff on medical issues for each child
- Assists staff in dealing with health issues/sick children and injuries
- Oversees lead program
- Collaborates with other healthcare professionals when examining health concerns (for example, nutrition, disabilities/mental health, and social issues).